What are your New Year’s goals? With new year coming- we all have new resolutions and goals, things we want to change. I know that I want to lose some more weight, publish another couple of books, but my first and primary goal is to spend more time with God, to put him first, align my heart with his plans for my life. I encourage you to do the same.
The Lord is Your Refuge
It says in Psalms,
“If you say, ‘The Lord is my refuge,” and you make the Most High your dwelling, no harm will overtake you, no disaster will come near your tent. For He will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; They will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.”Psalm 91:1-2 NIV
I know that by putting God first, everything else will fall into place. Make most high your dwelling- no harm overtake you, he will send his angels to protect you.
He loves us so much. I want to take the time to be with him. By putting him first and aligning my heart,, my goals, my dreams with his, I know that He will lead me.
Instead of making my own plans and asking his approval I want to seek him first and ask what he has for me. Take time to listen and worship him through every part of my life. Oh, I don’t expect to do it perfectly, but God sees the heart and knows our true motives and intentions.
He doesn’t expect us to be perfect. That’s why He sent Jesus.
Small Steps for New Year’s Goals
So this next week or so, when you are making your new year’s goals make them more manageable by breaking them down into small daily goals.
Actionable Steps for Growing in God
- Memorize one verse per week and really dwelling on it.
- Take a few minutes a day to pray. Stop and pause and just listen to him. Tell Him what’s on your heart.
- Turn on your favorite praise and worship music and worship him while you are exercising, going to work, doing the dishes, etc.
- Journaling as a way to communicate with God your hopes and dreams, etc. (if you like to write)
- Get a great devotional book to guide you and help you focus on God
- Read the Bible every day even if only for five minutes.
- Get a guided prayer journal or gratitude journal and write in it regularly. This is a great way to record your blessings, goals, dreams, and prayer requests
You can grow deeper in your relationship with God by small things you do every day. He will meet you. He sees your heart.
If you need a great devotional or prayer book, check out the ones I have on my writing page. My devotional, Finding Peace in Jesus: An Encouraging 30 Day Devotional is currently FREE for the ebook version.
Whether or not you choose one of my books or find another great devotional or prayer journal, I encourage you to follow through on all of your New Year’s goals. Come up with a plan. Take time to be with God and He will be there for you no matter what you are facing.
This site may contain links to affiliate websites including Amazon and I will receive an affiliate commission for any purchases made by you using such links but at no additional cost to you.